Sunday, March 19, 2017

Women in my history - Grandmother Fatima



Since it is women's history month I have decided it would be a perfect time to write a series of articles showcasing the amazing women I have met on my travels to Tunisia, some of which are now my family. These women have opened my eyes to what being a strong, fierce women means. I wanted to start with one of my favorite people in the world, my grandmother-in-law Fatima.She is my husband's grandmother and I am so proud to call her family.

Honestly I dont know where to start she is one of the most fascinating people I have ever met.She is an incredibly powerful and enchanting women who never ceases to blow my mind with her love, compassion and unyielding determination. Born in the 1940s, she truly embodies what it means to be a fiercely independent women. 

She grew up in Northern Tunisia with her parents and three brothers until she got married and had five kids of her own. I am sure that is where she got her toughness no doubt. In Tunisia most women stay at home and help their mother do all the cooking and cleaning until they get married. Over the past several years however, women's rights have taken center stage and now more then ever women are working and men are helping in the home. 

One thing I find most fascinating is at age sixteen she started to notice that her intuitive and psychic abilities where manifesting. Her grandmother decided to teach her how to use them. Since then she has been helping not only her family but others in need by doing readings and reiki massages. Many times, while I was visiting, one of the neighbor ladies would come over for a reading or massage. She never charges a dime or turns anyone away. She has done readings on me many times and even predicted our son Ethan would be born.

There are two kinds of readings that I have experienced. There is the reading that actually predicts something and the one that gets rid  of evil or black energy from a person. I have personally gone through some very painful and very intense black magic. She is able to calm me down after an attack. I had never been through anything like it before. It was not a panic attack it was a psychotic breakdown, a possession. It is my understanding that anger leaves a person open to being taken over by dark entities or energy. She is able to read words into you from the Koran that are specially designed to rid you of this dark energy. This is what I have been told but most of it remains a secret only for those who are Muslim to understand. 


Oddly enough for some reason it didn't take me long to adapt to the culture, I fit right in. Which never surprised me seeing as I jumped at the chance to come live here.When I met Fatima it was like meeting an old friend. Although we speak different languages she sometimes knows me better then I know myself. 

My mom came with me back to Tunisia this last time. I had of course told her all of her amazing stories over the years so she couldnt wait to meet her. One night we were all sleeping at our place and grandma started to tell us one of her scary stories. This is one of those stories...

Genies, or Jinn they are called in Arabic, are demons that attach themselves to people or places. They feed off their energy and in cases like mine for instance, they bring about terrible events so that they can feed off the dark energy it creates. Fatima sees these demons and has some pretty amazing stories of running into these terrifying creatures. 

She tells of a man who passed away in the mountains behind her home. People came and stole his blood soaked clothing and belongings after his death. Instead of getting rid of these clothes like they should, they brought them into her back yard and placed them in her garden. It is said that if this happens the person will come back as a demon on that very spot. She still doesn't know why these people did this to her but the beast did come back and it tried to kill her. She knows that demons feed off fear so she remained calm and read from the Koran. Not able to feed off of her the beast finally left her alone. 


Her grandson, my husband. Hassen says "she is a very very magical lady who only wants to help people" . I have seen this over and over again. She has no kitchen, no bathroom and has to walk outside to use a water spigot that comes out of a stone wall in her yard. She always cooks a huge meal for us every time we visit. She uses a camping style gas stove to cook off and has done this since she moved to that home over 60 years ago. There are no vacuum cleaners or dish washers so everything is done by hand. All cooking is simple and fresh and I love it! We have asked her many times to come live with us but she always says no, she loves her home and her independence.

This women has saved my life many times, She truly embodies what it means to be powerful and independent. At seventy years old she is constantly blowing my mind and is capable of doing things that even some fifty year old people cannot. I feel so incredily blessed to call this amazing women Grandmother, Hamdullah (thank you to God). 
















No comments:

Post a Comment